Phew am I sore today! I started Stage 7 of New Rules Of Lifting For Women yesterday and I am feeling it today. I know, I know, I haven’t mentioned Stage 6 anywhere in this blog. Well, that’s because I went to the gym earlier this week to start Stage 6 and then chickened out. The thought of attempting negative chin-ups got to me and and I just walked out of the gym. This is what happens when you take a month off to do a course and get a totally awesome result. So I’ve decided to skip Stage 6 and come back to it after Stage 7 is finished which means that I’ll start Stage 6 at the end of next week. *and breath*
Stage 6 and 7 have totally routines different from the rest of the stages and you can actually leave out stage 6 completely but I’m not going to because it’ll feel too much like cheating.
So there are only 5-6 exercises per workout in stage 7 of NROLFW – simple right? But…4 of the exercises are 4 sets at 15-20 reps. All I can say about that just over 24 hours late is OUCH! I am hurting right now. I bent to pick something up from the floor and I groaned all the way down and all the way back up again. I’m so glad that Baby Girl is asleep for the night because taking care of her would hurt so badly. I’m sure it’ll be even worse tomorrow but I’ll be back at the gym for workout number 2 of 6.
So, here’s a little run-down of the training session…
- Back squats: 1 set – 30kg x 8 reps (I was supposed to do 2 sets but the squat rack was busy so I used the weights in the ladies section but struggled to get it off my back so didn’t want to risk a second set.)
- Static lunge, rear foot elevated: I started seeing stars during these…4 sets – 9kg x 15 reps. I struggled walking down the stairs from the gym because of these.
- Push-ups: 3 sets x 15 + 1 set x 20. I feel really proud about doing 65 proper push-ups in one workout 🙂
- Barbell Romanian deadlifts: 4 sets – 20kg x 20 reps. I wasn’t sure if my form was correct through a lot of these reps. I even went onto You-Tube to check a couple of videos. My arms were getting tired of holding the barbell by the end of each set.
- Dumbbell bent-over rows: 4 sets – 9kg x 20 reps. I may do these with 10kg dumbbells next time and save the 9kg ones for when I get tired.
Did I mention that I love weightlifting? Not like I love The Special One and Baby Girl, of course! But I love feeling strong and I love seeing more muscle definition in my arms and legs – best fitness decision I ever made. One day I’ll post some before & after pics…but not yet. Workout 2 calls for barbell incline bench presses which I’ve not done before so I’m hoping that there’s someone who I know at the gym tomorrow to show me the ropes.
I’m off to an Olympic lifting workshop on Saturday. I’m kinda excited and nervous about it but will definitely let you know how it goes.
Time for me to get to bed.
Thanks for reading xx